Have you ever wondered how television sets are measured? The most common misconception is that it is measured from left to right or right to left of its length.
Before you think it requires some complicated math formula, let me tell you that it doesn’t. In fact, measuring a TV screen is a fairly simple activity that will only take up a few minutes of your time. If you are interested in learning how a TV size is measured, here’s how to go about it.
Measuring Screen Size
1) Begin by getting a measuring tape and pick one corner of the screen as a starting point.
2) Make sure your tape is positioned exactly where your screen begins and not on the plastic frame or bezel.
3) Next, hold it in place as you take the tape measure and stretch it out diagonally to the corner opposite it.
4) Read the measurement and take note of this. Therefore when a manufacturer advertises a 48-inch screen it can be expected that it was measured from the top left corner to the bottom right or from the top right to the bottom left.
It is standard practice for a lot of manufacturers to provide measurements based on screen size and rare to find one that will detail the full product dimensions. You may not initially realize it but there are some benefits to knowing how a TV size is measured, they are as follows:
- optimal viewing experience
- overall aesthetic appeal
- the correct aspect ratio of shows and films played on the TV
Measuring the Bezel and Stand
Obviously, measuring the TV screen diagonally only determines the size of the viewing area, it, however, does not provide you with information whether the set will fit in a given space. You need to take into account the height and width of the entire TV frame, stand, and bezel. Frames can easily add 1/2 to 3 inches in height or width of the set’s frame while the stand will add several more.
1) Place the measuring tape on the lower left-hand corner of the TV edge. Include the plastic frame in the measurement.
2) Stretch your tape towards the right-hand corner of the TV. Your tape should lie flat on the base of the television.
3) Note down the length from one corner to the other.
4) Now measure the height by starting at the bottom corner and extending the tape vertically to the other corner. You should now have the dimensions for the length and the height of your set.
The main reason why measuring the overall dimensions of your television set is important because you want to ensure that the model and size you purchase will fit the space it is intended for. Not only should it physically fit its designated space, but it should also as well look in proportion with the entire room and its other contents.
Knowing the size of the television set will give you ample information with regard to the amount of space it needs for placement. Sets that go on walls or open spaces will require enough room for the stand.
While a TV that is meant to in an entertainment module will require at least 2-3 inches of space on either side. This means making room on the left, right, top, and bottom area of the TV unit. You want ample room to be able to safely move it in and out of the space if needed.
On a final note, I find that it is important to hook up the TV to its designated wirings or to speaker systems. This will also give you a clear idea of how much additional room may be needed to accommodate these other accessories.